Monday 6 May 2013

Front cover ideas...

Now all of my photo shoots are finished and finalised as to what images I will be including to the final product. My thoughts are directed at how the book will be presented and what type of paper, front cover and text I will need to involve. 

My theme being dance related as well as make-up and hair design based I wanted to create an interesting front cover perhaps as an illustration and edited on the computer. I started to brain storm ideas as to what I would create that would represent these two aspects of the book. 


I started to sketch dancing figures in my sketchbook and thought up the idea of creating the effect of arranging my drawings into the shape of a 'kiss mark' to suggest beauty, design and dance.


Here below, is an example of the kind of idea I have envisaged however this is roughly hand drawn. 


I decided to scan my drawings into the computers at uni and save them as a digital picture. This led to me opening the scans into Photoshop and then filling in the figure with black ink to make it bold and clearer than a hand drawn and coloured in pictures. 


I wanted to try out this 'kiss mark' idea on Photoshop so I opened a white template of a lip design onto the software for guidance. 




I created many layers on Photoshop and experimented cropping down the scans and arranging them to face various directions on the lip design to create a hopefully effective illusion.




This was the first attempt at the final design for the front cover as I came across a problem with my computer and sadly after three hours of putting together this design I accidentally deleted the file so regrettably had to start from scratch again.  


However I believe everything must happen for a reason as the second design I put together again on Photoshop looked a great deal better than the first. The image below shows the new design at the bottom. As shown the new design displays a more flowing and artistic style whereas the first attempt looks a little amateur looking at the comparison now.  


This is my final front cover design and I am actually very pleased with the outcome and will use this as my front cover design perhaps without even needing a title because in a way my illustration design tells you what topics the book will touch upon subliminally. 

After another feedback session my tutor agreed with this idea so I am going ahead and making this image my final front cover logo. 








No comments:

Post a Comment